Friday, December 07, 2007

Why shut the curtains?

Twilight falls and the sky darkens... a thousand green things huddle and shiver. the sun has taken its gold and colour deepens. It gets darker outside. About to shut the curtains because light inside means lit up like a beacon outside...age old fears of that...primeval fears of unknown things which creep and crawl and go bump in the night...


but then just as my hand is on the curtain this bunch of light filled faeries spring up against the window pane and I have to laugh...really what is there really to fear but fear itself. I have my cans of pepper spray, a few well placed hockey sticks, a loud dog and telephones everywhere.


They smash their faces hard up against the window and the one on the end with the red and green cap is barely given a spot... I am fond of these happy faced beings who inhabit my trees and look in my windows and know when I am doubting, know when I am in danger of growing old.


I refuse to live like this...curtains shut in the summer heat...better to let in the magic of the night air this summer evening .


I can live a long life with my curtains shut against the night...or I can live a long life with them open... I choose to leave them open and the windows as well and trust the old dog to bark; trust the pepper spray to do its work if needed and just hope I am lucky for now...

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

here to a long and happy life with the faeries,:)

Anonymous said...

leave them open, mc. leave them open and let that noble doggy join in your defiance of bad things.

Rick Rockhill said...

hey there, just stumbled on your blog, I love the imagery, its just beautiful.

-Rick

Nina said...

Oh, I haven't been visiting in so long--haven't done much of anything in so long--what a treat, I get to see so many new faeries!

I love them pushing up against the windows, looking in at you. Definitely open the shades and let in the light. :)